Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday's class

We started out with a discussion of coordinators and coordination, which we contrasted with subordination. We also looked at some sentence adverbs. Working from this, we talked about how to find run-on sentences and comma splices. The powerpoint file is here.

Note that most books use the traditional terms coordinating conjunction & subordinating conjunction. I find these ideas to be too vague as they mix together a variety of different kinds of words including prepositions.

After that we discussed how to improve this essay. Here's a file with my edits and comments. Have a look at it and let me know if there's anything you don't understand.

As usual, if you need any help understanding the assignments, getting scheduled for debates, accessing the various file, or paying off your car loan, let me know (I'll listen sympathetically to the car-loan thing.) Don't be shy.

No comments: